||Victorian Railways - 4-6-2 "Edward Henty" S302
The numerically small VicRail S class, consisted of only four locomotives (S300 to S303) designed by the VR Chief Mechanical Engineer Alfred E. Smith. This was VR's first three cylinder locomotive and included the design innovation of incorporating all three cylinders and the smokebox saddle into a single casting.
Though in regular service from 1928 to 1937 on the main North Eastern Line, intended expansion of locomotive numbers and serviced lines was never realised largely due the the "Great Depression". The S class was however highly utilised, with S302 travelling 2,327,367 km (1,446,468 miles) in just over 25 years of service life.
The S Class was built and remained unstreamlined until 1937, when with the introduction of the new "Spirit Of Progress" carriages the 'modern' streamlined look was added to locomotives to match (inspired by the American railroad, Baltimore and Ohio train "The Royal Blue").
From that time on on the S Class became the glamour streamliner of the Victorian Railways, which saw the locomotives named after prominent figures from early Victorian history:
S 300: Matthew Flinders
S 301: Sir Thomas Mitchell
S 302: Edward Henty
S 303: C J La Trobe
With the demands of the Spirit Of Progress run between Melbourne and Albury including ... a trailing load of up to 600 tons and sections with greater than a 1 in 50 gradient ... the S Class was at the time the only passenger locomotive on the Victorian railways with enough power for the task.
Even though they were only converted to oil burning in early 1951, the introduction of the newly delivered B class diesels in 1952 saw the S Class quickly scrapped.